Be Here. Be Great. Working for a leader in the insurance industry means opportunity for you. Great American Insurance Group’s member companies are subsidiaries of American Financial Group, a Fortune 500 company. We combine a "small company" culture where your ideas will be heard with "big company" expertise to help you succeed. With over 30 specialty property and casualty operations and a variety of financial services, there are always opportunities here to learn and grow.
We are currently looking for an Associate Underwriter or Underwriter to join the Risk Management Unit within the Great American Risk Solutions Division. This position will be located in Cincinnati, Ohio.
· Has responsibility for risk selection / rejection, pricing, retention, growth and profitability per divisional objectives.
· Applies underwriting rules and guidelines, rating manual rules and insurance laws and regulations.
· Develops and maintains effective business relationships with internal and external customers / coworkers including Marketing, IT, Actuary and Claims.
· Develops and maintains a relationship with program administrator through telephone interactions and periodic visits.
· Uses independent judgment and initiative to support business /program goals.
· Maintains a high level of customer service.
· Analyzes coverage and limit requests and decides what terms to offer to ensure profitability.
· Assesses risk quality and compliance within company guidelines and initiates appropriate loss prevention actions.
· Participates in program underwriting audits / reviews.
· Assists in facilitating the processing of business into internal systems.
· May provide underwriting management guidance to external customers.
· Assists in monitoring program profitability and provides recommendations that will support divisional / program goals.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s Degree or 0-3 years of commercial underwriting experience or equivalent work experience.
· Must have strong communication skills to build and leverage excellent customer relationships.
· Must have strong hands-on experience with MS Word, Outlook, Excel, etc.
· Completion of or progression toward Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) or other insurance industry designations is a plus.