Be Here. Be Great. Working for a leader in the insurance industry means opportunity for you. Great American Insurance Group’s member companies are subsidiaries of American Financial Group, a Fortune 500 company. We combine a "small company" culture where your ideas will be heard with "big company" expertise to help you succeed. With over 30 specialty property and casualty operations and a variety of financial services, there are always opportunities here to learn and grow.
We are currently looking for a Senior Production Underwriter to join the Great American Risk Solutions Division. This position will be located in Cincinnati, Ohio.
• Provides underwriting management guidance for program administrators/agents/brokers/producers.
• Serves as a contact and technical resource on underwriting policies, guidelines, processes and systems for external clients.
• Monitors compliance in accordance with company guidelines for underwriting eligibility, premium determination and policy forms.
o Uses independent judgment and initiative to support business/program goals.
o Maintains a high level of customer service.
o Analyzes coverage and limit requests and uses independent judgment to decided what terms to offer.
o Uses independent judgment for pricing business in accordance with company guidelines.
o Assesses risk quality and compliance within company guidelines and initiates appropriate loss prevention actions.
o Participates in program underwriting audits / reviews.
• Recommends and leads implementation of changes to policy language, pricing methodologies, underwriting procedures and eligibility.
• Develops training sessions for external customers or for internal needs.
• Analyzes and reports on risk exposure across assigned programs(s) / region(s) / territory / business unit and recommends actions to achieve business unit's profitability goals and team objectives.
• Assists on collaborations with Underwriting, Product Development, Product Management, Information systems and other business partners for implementation of new / revised products and supporting services.
• May be involved in developing, implementing, communicating and monitoring compliance of company guidelines, policies, systems, underwriting processes and procedures.
• Assists in monitoring profitability across assigned program(s) / region(s) / territory / business unit and recommends actions that will result in writing more business that is profitable.
• May participate in the due diligence and onboarding of new business opportunities.
• Visits external customers to build and maintain business relationships and develop new opportunities in support of divisional objectives.
• Provides technical advice to lower level associates and other functional areas.
• Reviews referrals from underwriting staff where a higher level of authority is required.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience.
Field of Study: Liberal Arts, Business or a related discipline.
Experience: 3 or more years of related experience. Progression toward certification in area of expertise preferred; appropriate certifications could include Associate in Underwriting (AU), Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU), Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC), Program in General Insurance (INS) or Associate of Risk Management (ARM).
Scope of Job: Performs work under general supervision and technical direction. Demonstrates technical knowledge with moderately complex underwriting concepts. Relies on experience to accomplish goals. Works with moderate latitude and authority. Position requires frequent day and overnight travel, more than 10% but less than 50% of time, to visit agents and brokers. Typically does not prospect or solicit new agents. Uses communication and coaching skills to build and leverage excellent customer relationships and profitable programs.