Be Here. Be Great. Working for a leader in the insurance industry means opportunity for you. Great American Insurance Group’s member companies are subsidiaries of American Financial Group, a Fortune 500 company. We combine a "small company" culture where your ideas will be heard with "big company" expertise to help you succeed. With over 30 specialty property and casualty operations and a variety of financial services, there are always opportunities here to learn and grow.
AFG Finance is responsible for the financial information and analysis used to communicate the Company’s consolidated financial results and financial position to shareholders, management and other stakeholders. This includes preparing and filing comprehensive quarterly financial statements with the Securities and Exchange Commission (Forms 10-K and 10-Q) as well as providing financial data and analysis used for other internal and external communication (rating agencies, analysts, investors, etc.). In addition, AFG Finance takes a lead role in the implementation of newly issued Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (“GAAP”) throughout the organization.
We are seeking to add a highly-motivated, experienced Accountant to our team of eleven full-time accounting professionals. The AFG Finance team ranges in experience from just a few years to over 30 years. Individuals are encouraged to continuously sharpen their skills and agilely respond to evolving business needs and a challenging regulatory environment. In addition, team members are given a great deal of autonomy to complete the tasks necessary to meet the department objectives and are expected to consistently perform at a top level. During peak periods, team members often work 5 to 15 hours of overtime in a week.
• Collect data and prepare schedules supporting the financial statements and related disclosures of a complex nature for inclusion in quarterly SEC filings. Review schedules and documentation prepared by less experienced team members.
• Take a lead role in the research and implementation of new accounting guidance.
• Prepare complex financial schedules for internal management reporting.
• Oversee processes and complex reports to generate accounting entries in support of the financial reporting and consolidation process. Analyze accounting results and processes for inconsistencies and inefficiencies.
• Provide technical advice to lower level positions and other functional areas.
• Supervise and assist in the development of less experienced staff and co-op students.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting.
• 5+ years of experience in SEC Reporting with any industry or finance/accounting experience with an insurance company.
• CPA, Master of Accountancy or MBA a plus.
• Good organizational, time management and communication skills.
• Focused on continuous professional development.
• Committed to developing others.
• Strong Excel skills.
• Willing to work the hours needed to help the department meet its financial reporting obligations, including evenings and weekends, if necessary.