Be Here. Be Great. Working for a leader in the insurance industry means opportunity for you. Great American Insurance Group, a member of American Financial Group, is a Fortune 500 company consistently recognized as a top place to work. We combine a "small company" culture where your ideas will be heard with "big company" expertise to help you succeed. With over 30 specialty property and casualty operations and a variety of financial services, there are always opportunities here to learn and grow.
We are unique because we promote the entrepreneurial spirit and our company listens to what is important to our employees. With a commitment to strong results and extraordinary service, there are always opportunities to learn and grow.
The Environmental Division of the Great American Insurance Group provides a comprehensive portfolio of environmental insurance products to a broad array of industries. The person in this role will be responsible for investigating and managing claims of Great American’s Environmental Division.
• Reviews and evaluates coverage and/or liability.
• Secures and analyzes necessary information (i.e., reports, policies, appraisals, releases, contracts, statements, records, other insurance policies, or other documents) in the investigation of claims.
• Works toward the resolution of claims files, attend arbitrations, mediations, other dispute resolution meetings, or trials as necessary.
• Negotiate settlements and set reserves within prescribed limits and submit recommendations to supervisor on cases exceeding personal authority.
• Conveys complex information (coverage, decisions, outcomes, etc.) to all appropriate parties, maintaining a professional demeanor in all situations.
• Ensures that claims payments are issued in a timely and accurate manner.
• Ensures that claims handling is conducted in compliance with applicable statutes, regulations and other legal requirements, and that all applicable company procedures and policies are followed.
• Drafts acknowledgement, coverage, and other correspondence as well as internal memos.
• Work with claim colleagues and underwriters in a collaborative environment.
• Will communicate with and provide support to underwriters, brokers and insureds as needed.
• Bachelor’s degree is required; J.D. from an accredited law school is preferred.
• 4 years or more experience handling environmental claims or other complex claims;
• Environmental science or consulting background considered
• Must have strong analytical skills and the ability to work independently.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel is required.