Be Here. Be Great. Working for a leader in the insurance industry means opportunity for you. Great American Insurance Group’s member companies are subsidiaries of American Financial Group, a Fortune 500 company. We combine a "small company" culture where your ideas will be heard with "big company" expertise to help you succeed. With over 30 specialty property and casualty operations and a variety of financial services, there are always opportunities here to learn and grow.
We are looking to hire for our Product Trainee Program. At Great American Insurance Group our products are the insurance policies we sell, and the Product Trainee Program is designed to create a pipeline of talented individuals who know our products well, and can support our insurance operations. In this program, you will learn the necessary job duties, technical knowledge, and skills necessary to fulfill the duties of many different insurance product-related positions. After completion of this program, you will not only learn the insurance products and coverages offered by the Great American Insurance Group, but also have a better understanding of all facets of insurance product management. This Product Trainee Program is a great opportunity for a college graduate who wants a challenging and dynamic career, and who values on-the-job training. If you are a self-starter who values intellectually challenging work and an atmosphere of continuous learning, then this Program may be for you. After completing this training program (expected duration 1 year), you will be integrated into one of the many product-related positions across our organization.
Training includes, but is not limited to, the following:
• Understanding of coverages, rates, rules, and forms for the common products issued at Great American, including Commercial Auto, General Liability, Commercial Property, Inland Marine, Crime, Equipment Breakdown, Workers’ Compensation, Umbrella and Excess in addition to many other products we write. This training will include the process of obtaining approval for these products with the Departments of Insurance that regulate us.
• Substantial exposure to various computer systems and applications, including insurance policy issuance systems, rating engines, and other related technology tools.
• Interactions with a wide variety of other support groups that support our insurance operations, including Legal, Claims, and Actuary.
• Rotations in our Business Units, where you will learn the basics of marketing, underwriting, product work, and claim handling. Training will include an evaluation of risks and exposures for various types of businesses and the underwriting and pricing tools available. You will work closely with experienced underwriters and claims personnel to learn how Great American business units operate including workflows, review of coverages and coverage interpretation, customer service skills and underwriting/claims standards. This underwriting training will then be complemented with training within various Product Management Teams.
• The opportunity to begin to pursue an Insurance designation [i.e. Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU), Associate in Underwriting (AU), Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC), Program in General Insurance (INS)].
Upon successful completion of the training, the responsibilities of this position will include:
• Contribute to and/or be held accountable for leading the support of a defined insurance product.
• Serve as a liaison between IT and the business to keep product requirements current within the system (includes providing business requirements and scheduling for policy administration systems).
• Participates in developing product and rate revisions, underwriting guidelines, manuals, and procedures.
• Partner with business units to develop, enhance and maintain their proprietary products.
• Support the review, approval, implementation, and communication of assigned filings and ensure compliance with statutory requirements.
• Resolve and/or assist with researching, documenting, and communicating moderately complex product and compliance related issues.
• Provide line of business, compliance, data and other relevant training to business units and corporate departments.
• Monitors pertinent insurance publications to determine impact on line of business.
• Maintain a high level of customer service.
• Prepares effective internal and external communications on product issues.
• Education: Bachelor’s Degree.
• Field of Study: Any. Although those with a business-related degree may have an interest in this program, any degree can learn and be successful in this role.
• Experience: 1 to 2 years of insurance industry experience would be helpful to this role, but is not required.
• Strong verbal and analytical skills are essential in this position.
• Organizational/project management skills, ability to establish priorities and meet deadlines.
• Technical knowledge is helpful to this role, but those who have basic and customary technology skills will be able to learn the systems necessary for this role.
• Customer service oriented, and able to use independent judgment and initiative to support business goals.