Be Here. Be Great. Working for a leader in the insurance industry means opportunity for you. Great American Insurance Group, a member of American Financial Group, is a Fortune 500 company consistently recognized as a top place to work. We combine a "small company" culture where your ideas will be heard with "big company" expertise to help you succeed. With over 30 specialty property and casualty operations and a variety of financial services, there are always opportunities here to learn and grow.
Great American's Bond Division has been underwriting surety and fidelity bonds for over 90 years. Great American is known for expert underwriting, solid financial strength, market leadership and creative solutions to all bonding needs. With a highly diverse product line, Great American is one of the top surety companies in the United States. The Bond Division is currently seeking a Senior Underwriter/Bond Manager for our Phoenix, Arizona office.
This position has the flexibility to be located in Phoenix, Tucson or San Diego.
• This individual will be charged with growing an established surety business in Arizona.
• Create new business opportunities with existing agency base, obtaining new agents, and developing new programs with agents.
• Risk selection/rejection, pricing, retention, growth and profitability decisions.
• Ensures business is priced in accordance with company guidelines.
• Conduct investigations of new and existing accounts.
• Ensures the appropriate utilization of underwriting, analysis and desktop systems.
• Assesses risk quality and compliance within company guidelines and may initiate appropriate loss prevention actions.
• Ensures appropriate reports are available, accessed, and appropriately used for rating and underwriting processes.
• Ensures effective business relationships with internal and external customers/co-workers are developed and maintained in order to attract and retain profitable business.
• Ensures an adequate number of visits are conducted with producers and principals in order to retain existing accounts, build and maintain business relationships and develop new opportunities in support of divisional objectives.
• Has accountability for own risk selection / rejection, pricing, retention, growth and profitability (within scope of authority and per divisional objectives) decisions and those made by members of the team / unit.
• Leads by example in providing excellent customer service. Compiles statistics and reports on service levels, activity and customer experience. Identifies and recommends appropriate changes to processes / procedures to increase customer service / satisfaction.
• Administers, applies and may update underwriting rules and guidelines, rating manual rules and insurance laws and regulations.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Must have a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
• 5+ years of contract experience with a surety carrier is preferred. May consider candidates with credit granting experience that is specific to the construction industry.
• Advanced finance and accounting skills.
• Must be open to travel up to 25% of the time, including overnight travel as needed.
• Must have strong communication skills to build and leverage excellent customer relationships and to successfully market products.