Be Here. Be Great. Working for a leader in the insurance industry means opportunity for you. Great American Insurance Group’s member companies are subsidiaries of American Financial Group, a Fortune 500 company. We combine a "small company" culture where your ideas will be heard with "big company" expertise to help you succeed. With over 30 specialty property and casualty operations and a variety of financial services, there are always opportunities here to learn and grow.
The Property and Inland Marine Division (P&IM) writes policies in all 50 states and has more than 2,000 independent agents offering our coverages. Our broad range of products include Property, Builders' Risk, Contractor’s Equipment, Excess Property, Cargo, Electronic Data Processing (EDP), and Difference in Conditions (DIC).
The P&IM Division is currently searching for an Underwriting Analyst Trainee for our Resource Group, based in Cincinnati, Ohio. The Resource Group services all of Property & Inland Marine’s field offices by providing a variety of issuing and underwriting support. Support may vary in length, complexity and tasks. Therefore flexibility is required. The right candidate will excel at developing strong relationships with internal customers, have strong communication skills, a willingness to learn and the ability to manage their workload independently.
• Administers and monitors underwriting rules and guidelines, rating manual rules and insurance laws and regulations to review, underwrite and document new and renewal policy transactions, within authority.
• Audits and may enter policy information on an assigned product, territory and / or agency in accordance with template rules.
• May review premium and loss data on an individual account, as part of renewal process or mid-term underwriting.
• May have responsibility for review of electronic insurance applications or other risk documentation. Reviews underwriting requirements; refers applications or endorsement requests for further underwriting analysis when above authority limits.
• Reviews paperwork and / or applications for signatures, dates and other considerations to ensure that coverage may be issued.
• Verifies coverage limits, performs necessary calculations and completes other checks before processing policies.
• May order, review and take appropriate action on required reports, endorsement requests, service requests and general correspondence.
• Analyzes individual risk pricing for new business submissions and renewals against template expectations, and makes appropriate changes within authority.
• Monitors entry / processing to ensure data integrity and to avoid potential systemic issues.
• Communicates with agents, brokers and customers to obtain information needed to underwrite risks, respond to questions and address issues.
• Participates in other departmental processes / projects, such as changes / enhancements to forms and screens, user acceptance testing for systems and policies, and reviewing impact to current policies / practices.
• May provide guidance and assistance to agents. May participate in developing training curriculum and / or training agents and staff.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Associate’s Degree or equivalent experience; some college coursework preferred, with a focus on Liberal Arts, Business or a related discipline or equivalent experience.
• 1 to 3 years related Property & Casualty experience.
• Must be display adaptability, have attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Performs work under close supervision and technical direction, relying on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job.
• Develops working knowledge with forms, processing systems and provisions for policies and skill with basic concepts, practices and procedures.