Be Here. Be Great. Working for a leader in the insurance industry means opportunity for you. Great American Insurance Group, a member of American Financial Group, is a Fortune 500 company consistently recognized as a top place to work. We combine a “small company” culture where your ideas will be heard with “big company” expertise to help you succeed. With over 30 specialty property and casualty operations and a variety of financial services, there are always opportunities here to learn and grow.
The P&C Corporate Claims Division consists of over 100 professionals who support Great American’s highly-diversified P&C claims operations across the world. The division’s functional teams include Claims Practices, Claims Counsel, Claims Support Services, and Legacy Claims.
Claims Counsel is a team of lawyers providing claim- and coverage-related legal advice to our P&C divisions and affiliates. In addition to providing expert legal advice to existing internal clients, Claims Counsel lawyers seek to identify and develop opportunities to provide expert and cost-effective legal advice to P&C divisions not currently using Claims Counsel services.
The Senior Claims Counsel position will be responsible for providing legal analysis, advice, and counsel on all assigned issues, claims and litigation. This position will provide advice and counsel to the Corporate Claims division and other P&C divisions with an emphasis on:
• Legal research and written coverage analysis;
• Interpreting and applying insurance contract provisions in the context of applicable cases, statutes, and regulations;
• Managing coverage disputes and coverage litigation, including providing advice to business partners on discovery responses, procedural issues, deposition preparation, motion practice, resolution strategy and trial preparation; and
• Developing appropriate content and strategy for coverage position letters to insureds and other parties.
This position may also be assigned to:
• Ensure that outside counsel comply with corporate litigation management expectations and standards;
• Assist business partners in evaluating the performance of outside coverage counsel;
• Monitor, synthesize and communicate with business partners regarding existing and developing statutes, regulations, case law, court rules and legal environment with respect to claims-related issues and practices;
• Advise on appropriate and jurisdictionally applicable claims handling practices and coordinating with the P&C Legal Department on potential extra-contractual exposures on assigned claims; and
• Partner with the Product Development & Compliance staff to identify opportunities for product improvement, assist with drafting of contract wordings, and help to spearhead cross-divisional product development dialog, initiatives and projects.
The position must be able to work effectively and collaboratively in a “matrix” environment involving multiple stakeholders, including underwriting business partners and the P&C Legal Department.
Candidates must possess a J.D. from an accredited law school and must be licensed to practice law and in good standing in at least one US state. Candidates should have a minimum of five years of litigation, corporate advising, or equivalent experience, with a focus on the legal analysis of complex legal issues and an exposure to insurance coverage and extra-contractual liability issues and claims. Substantial insurance coverage litigation experience is a plus.