Be Here. Be Great. Working for a leader in the insurance industry means opportunity for you. Great American Insurance Group’s member companies are subsidiaries of American Financial Group, a Fortune 500 company. We combine a "small company" culture where your ideas will be heard with "big company" expertise to help you succeed. With over 30 specialty property and casualty operations and a variety of financial services, there are always opportunities here to learn and grow.
The Catastrophe Modeling area is part of the Reinsurance Department. We are currently seeking a Risk/Data Analyst to join our Catastrophe Analytics team located in our corporate headquarters in downtown Cincinnati, Ohio. The primary functions of this job include extracting and reviewing complex datasets, creating visualizations using Tableau, and assisting in the catastrophe modeling process.
• Aggregate and analyze data to identify exposure to various risks related to the business.
• Perform data quality analysis to ensure accurate and complete exposure data.
• Develop a good knowledge of business information data sources and business data rules.
• Manipulate exposure data into a standard third party format for import into the third party software.
• Develop reports using Tableau software that will be used to communicate Catastrophe Modeling results to the business.
• Assist in running third party modeling software and preparing semi-annual reports for management and business units
• Make recommendations for business process improvements with an understanding of technical problems and solutions as they relate to business needs.
• Support catastrophe data needs from Business Units, Reinsurers, States and Rating Agencies.
• Document processes used in the catastrophe modeling analysis.
• Demonstrate above average communication and collaboration skills in order to maintain personal and team effectiveness.
o Comfortably communicate with all levels of employees from executive leadership to administrative levels.
o Exhibit emotional intelligence when challenged with difficult people and situations.
• Communicate project details and on-going status with all appropriate parties including business units and associated teams.
• Perform other duties as assigned
Education: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
Field of Study: Mathematics, Statistics, Finance, Risk Management or related discipline.
• Prior Experience with Tableau Software a strong plus
• Knowledge of relational database tools preferred (i.e. SQL, Microsoft Access, etc.).
• Intermediate knowledge in Microsoft Excel.
• Ability to learn, understand and work with complex third party software.
• Strong analytical and technical skills, detail oriented, able to document processes.
• Commercial Insurance experience, a plus
• Critical thinking skills and strong business acumen.
• Must exhibit a natural curiosity to acquire a firm grasp of the organization and its environment. Must become knowledgeable about the organization’s businesses and its products to interpret information in context.
• Ability to define/lead best practices around process and business analysis tools
*Job grade level range: 110 – 115