When is the last time you felt like you made a difference to your employer and in the job you do? Been awhile? Never? Our employees at Strategic Comp DO make a difference and feel appreciated for it. In fact we received 98% rating for overall job satisfaction from the participants in our last employee survey, making it no surprise that our employee turnover is less than 2%. This clearly indicates the passion and energy our staff has for our company and for the job they do… and they never want to work anywhere else!
A big reason for these successes is due to our careful matching of the right job with the right person. Currently we have an opening for a Field Claim Specialist in your territory. Are you innovative, high energy, resilient, determined, assertive, clever, and competitive? Do you see each new claim as a puzzle to work and a challenge to be won? Does this sound like you? If so, this might be the right job for you.
Here’s who we are. Strategic Comp is part of Great American Insurance Group, which was established in 1872. Based in Cincinnati, Ohio, the operations of Great American Insurance Group (A.M. Best A:XIV) are engaged primarily in property and casualty insurance, focusing on specialty commercial products for businesses, and in the sale of annuities and supplemental insurance products. The members of the Great American Insurance Group are subsidiaries of American Financial Group, Inc. AFG’s common stock is listed and traded on the New York Stock Exchange (“NYSE”) and NASDAQ under the symbol “AFG”.
Here’s what we do. We insure workers’ compensation coverage for large companies, using our deductible program. Our service in claims and loss control is second to none. We’ve found that a large majority of our customers feel the way our employees do. Our renewal retention is 90+%, meaning our customers don’t want to leave us either!
Here’s what you would be doing if hired for the Field Claim Specialist position. Your role would be to investigate and adjust workers' comp claims with the highest potential exposure. We take an extremely aggressive and pro-active approach in claims adjusting and are looking for the person who not only knows their territory’s comp laws but also enjoys the role of putting that experience to good use. Because we focus on outcomes and not just processes, we look for the adjuster who is very skilled at developing strategies to bring claims to resolution. The person hired for this position will work from an office in their home about 40% of the time. The remainder of the time, approximately 60%, is for travel, including some overnight.
Investigating losses. Analyzing coverage, determining compensability and benefits. Establishing reserves and negotiating settlements. Conducting face-to-face meetings with claimants and insureds.
Preparing large loss reports to both internal and external audiences. Attending settlement conferences, pre-trials and trials as assigned. Working closely with defense attorneys and other vendors including medical case management, surveillance, etc.
To apply, you must have a minimum of 10 years of Georgia workers' compensation claims adjusting experience with higher exposure claims. Strong consideration will be given to candidates with industry designations including Associate in Claims.
You must be a great communicator, in both written and verbal form and be able to work with a variety of internal and external contacts.
You also need to have experience and skills in the use of computers and software programs as these are used extensively in this position.
Please select "Apply for this job online" to upload the following items in one document:
We will not consider any resumes that do not include a detailed cover letter and three work references.