Be Here. Be Great. Working for a leader in the insurance industry means opportunity for you. Great American Insurance Group, a member of American Financial Group, is a Fortune 500 company consistently recognized as a top place to work. We combine a "small company" culture where your ideas will be heard with "big company" expertise to help you succeed. With over 30 specialty property and casualty operations and a variety of financial services, there are always opportunities here to learn and grow.
The Property and Inland Marine Division (P&IM) writes policies in all 50 states and has more than 2,000 independent agents offering our coverages. Our broad range of products include Property, Builders' Risk, Contractor’s Equipment, Excess Property, Cargo and all other Inland Marine classes.
The P&IM Division is currently searching for an Underwriter or Senior Underwriter for our Excess Property Department, based in Cincinnati, Ohio. The Excess Property Department writes layered/excess property accounts through wholesale brokers across the country. This individual will be responsible for handling both new and renewal accounts, developing both internal and external relationships, underwriting selection and supporting the development of a profitable excess property book of business. The right candidate will excel at developing strong relationships with internal and external customers, have proficient underwriting skills, and the ability to manage their workload independently.
The job grade and title will depend on the successful applicant's level of experience.
• Uses independent judgment and initiative to support business growth. Maintains a high level of customer service.
• Analyzes coverage and limit requests and determines terms to be offered. Prices business in accordance with company guidelines. Assesses risk quality and compliance within company guidelines and initiates appropriate loss prevention actions. Orders and screens miscellaneous reports needed in the rating and underwriting processes, such as Motor Vehicle reports, loss history reports, credit checks, outside inspections, loss control, etc.
• Develops and maintains effective business relationships with internal and external customers/coworkers in order to attract and retain profitable business.
• Interprets, explains and markets products and services to both internal and external customers/coworkers.
• Applies underwriting rules and guidelines and insurance laws and regulations.
• Performs other duties as assigned
• Must be flexible with job responsibilities.
• Must have a Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 1 year commercial property and casualty underwriting experience, or equivalent work experience.
• Certifications such as CPCU, AMIM, AIC, INS, ARM, etc are strongly desired.
• Progression toward certification in area of expertise preferred; appropriate certifications could include AU, CPCU, CIC, INS or ARM.
• Demonstrates technical knowledge with moderate to complex underwriting concepts.
• Must have strong analytical, decision making, and problem resolution skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Position requires occasional travel, including overnight trips.