Be Here. Be Great. Working for a leader in the insurance industry means opportunity for you. Great American Insurance Group, a member of American Financial Group, is a Fortune 500 company consistently recognized as a top place to work. We combine a “small company” culture where your ideas will be heard with “big company” expertise to help you succeed. With over 30 specialty property and casualty operations and a variety of financial services, there are always opportunities here to learn and grow.
The P&C Corporate Claims Division consists of over 100 professionals who support Great American’s highly-diversified P&C claims operations across the world. The division’s functional teams include Claims Practices, Claims Counsel, Claims Support Services, and Legacy Claims.
The Claims Practices team ensures effective management of complex, high-impact claims and claims issues, provides quality management and technical oversight, and assures execution of the company’s claims policies and philosophies.
We seek a Director – Workers’ Compensation Claims & Vendor Management Practices to join the Claims Practices team. Candidates should have extensive workers’ compensation industry knowledge who can combine claim handling and multi-jurisdictional auditing skills with workers’ compensation vendor management experience. We seek a self-starter with the ability to multi-task, work independently and support projects across multiple business units or teams. Candidates should be strategic thinkers skilled at diplomacy, with superior communication skills and adept at influencing business leaders and our vendor community. This position reports to the Divisional Senior Vice President responsible for the Claims Practices team.
• Gather and communicate marketplace intelligence relative to vendor capabilities, market pricing, conditions and trends, and innovations to help guide business units and the enterprise toward optimal use of vendors.
• Advocate for the use of preferred vendors to promote greater standardization, improved compliance, risk mitigation and leveraging of purchasing power to increase cost savings and drive better claim outcomes.
• Optimize vendor contracts, identify opportunities for synergy with workers’ compensation business units within Great American, research industry-leading products and services in the marketplace, develop performance goals for vendors, and develop metric scorecards and tracking to facilitate management and accountability.
• Measure and monitor vendor price, quality, service and utilization.
• Perform ad hoc assignments to enable the enterprise to more cost-effectively procure vendor services.
• Provide strategic, outcome-focused advice and recommendations for claim staff servicing long-term disability claims.
• Conduct claim quality reviews, to include analysis of state-specific compliance requirements to identify breaches of compliance requirements and propose remedial actions.
• Assist business units with state compliance audits and manage business unit compliance with state-specific compliance plans.
• Deliver technical claims support to business units writing Workers’ Compensation, Employer’s Liability, Non-Subscriber Benefits and related products.
• Provide advanced technical guidance, recommendations and oversight of the company’s highest-exposure workers’ compensation claims by assisting claims teams in developing and implementing resolution strategies, including medical utilization and cost-containment strategies.
• Evaluate reserve and settlement authority referrals from business unit claims teams.
• A minimum of ten years of Workers’ Compensation claims handling experience.
• Well-documented Workers’ Compensation vendor management experience.
• Strong knowledge of workers’ compensation insurance laws and regulations across multiple jurisdictions.
• Proven experience coordinating multiple projects/assignments simultaneously and completing assigned tasks accurately and on time.
• Strong attention to detail with the ability to develop standards for ensuring quality.
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Strong analytical skills with the ability to make logical and reasoned decisions.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to work on teams and as an independent contributor with limited direction and oversight.
• Ability to independently perform compliance-related research.
• Strong knowledge of Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
• Bachelor’s Degree required.
• Professional experience working within the medical field is a plus.
• Professional insurance designation(s) preferred.