Be Here. Be Great. Working for a leader in the insurance industry means opportunity for you. Great American Insurance Group, a member of American Financial Group, is a Fortune 500 company consistently recognized as a top place to work. We combine a "small company" culture where your ideas will be heard with "big company" expertise to help you succeed. With over 30 specialty property and casualty operations and a variety of financial services, there are always opportunities here to learn and grow.
The Property and Inland Marine (P&IM) division writes policies in all 50 states and has more than 2,000 independent agents offering our coverages. Our broad range of products include property, builders' risk, contractor’s equipment, excess property, transportation cargo, electronic data processing (EDP), and difference in conditions (DIC). Great American Insurance is one of the top 20 largest commercial inland marine insurers in the United States. Our mission is to be the leading provider of risk management solutions using Property & Inland Marine insurance and related products and services. In achieving this purpose, we expect our customers, employees, owners, and communities to prosper.
P&IM is currently searching for a Commercial Underwriter in our Richardson, TX office. This individual will be responsible for developing agency relationships, underwriting selection, and soliciting profitable property and inland marine business in the Southwest territory. The right candidate will excel at developing strong relationships with internal and external customers, have proficient underwriting skills, and be responsible for generating new business. The person hired for this position will work from our office located in Richardson, TX. Individual must be able to travel at least 15-20% of the time, including overnight travel.
• Develops working relationships with assigned agencies within the assigned territory.
• Uses independent judgment and initiative to support business goals.
• Assesses risk quality and determines appropriate recommendations subject to our management and underwriting guidelines.
• Analyzing financial and risk data of proposed insured's to identify hazards and exposures to determine proper terms to offer including coverage and pricing.
• Manages agency relationships, ensuring the delivery, follow-up and servicing requirements of all quotes on new and renewal accounts.
• Develops retail agency plant within the assigned territory.
• Provides detailed instructions for administrative staff to process policies and statistical information.
• We are seeking candidates with a Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 2-5 years of related underwriting and marketing experience.
• Must possess excellent communication, interpersonal, presentation and organizational skills. Uses communication skills to build trusting relationships and enhance service reputation.
• Must have strong hands-on experience with various computer systems including rating systems, MS Word and Excel, Outlook, etc.
• Continuing education such as CIC or CPCU designation is a plus.