Be Here. Be Great. Working for a leader in the insurance industry means opportunity for you. Great American Insurance Group, a member of American Financial Group, is a Fortune 500 company consistently recognized as a top place to work. We combine a “small company” culture where your ideas will be heard with “big company” expertise to help you succeed. With over 30 specialty property and casualty operations and a variety of financial services, there are always opportunities here to learn and grow.
The P&C Corporate Claims Division consists of over 100 professionals who support Great American’s highly-diversified P&C claims operations across the world. The division’s functional teams include Claims Practices, Claims Counsel, Claims Support Services, and Legacy Claims.
The Claims Practices team ensures effective management of complex, high-impact claims and claims issues, provides quality management and technical oversight, and assures execution of the company’s claims policies and philosophies.
The Divisional VP/SVP – Casualty Claims Practices serves as a member of the Corporate Claims division’s senior management team, reporting to the Divisional Senior Vice President responsible for the Claims Practices team. The position’s overall objectives are to:
Casualty claims include claims under general liability, umbrella and excess liability, professional liability, workers’ compensation, occupational accident, Texas non-subscriber, cyber and other types of specialty insurance policies.
The key responsibilities of the position are as follows:
• Supervise the Corporate Claims staff responsible for technical oversight of casualty claims (currently four);
• Evaluate reserve and settlement authority referrals from P&C divisions handling casualty claims;
• Support divisional casualty claims operations by providing insightful and impactful analysis, evaluation and strategy recommendations on litigated or otherwise significant claims;
• Lead and/or participate in claim audits of divisional casualty claim operations;
• Lead committee review of high-exposure casualty claims;
• Assist claims teams with analysis and strategy for identifying and resolving coverage issues;
• Counsel senior business and claims leaders on claims-related issues;
• Assist Corporate Claims leadership in establishing and delegating divisional claims authority;
• Provide strategic recommendations to Corporate Claims management, including identification and analysis of casualty claims trends;
• Identify and develop claims talent to meet the short-term and long-term needs of the division and the P&C enterprise;
• Provide support to the P&C actuarial team; and
• Act as company point person on insurance industry claims issues, as needed.
• A minimum of 10 years of casualty claims oversight experience;
• Previous experience in managing claims staff;
• Broad-based knowledge of claims across multiple specialty casualty lines;
• Experience in D&O claims, financial lines claims and reinsurance is preferred;
• Experience with international casualty claims and jurisdictions is a plus;
• Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree, and an advanced degree or CPCU designation is preferred;
• Proven ability to partner effectively with senior management;
• Significant experience leading groups or teams from multiple departments;
• Experience with management of claims vendors (e.g., TPAs);
• Experience with claims business process outsourcing is a plus;
• Ability to clearly articulate vision and objectives;
• Significant complex problem-solving experience; and
• Strong project-management skills.